SCVA’s Open House Chicago Visitor Weekend and Painting Help
This weekend, Saturday & Sunday Oct. 17-18, is Open House Chicago with visitor sites nearby in South Chicago. Lakeside’s Welcome Center 8555 S. Greenbay Rd. will be open 9-5 both days with their bus tours of the US Steel site running hourly 10-4. The bus tour drives by the velodrome twice during each bus tour and the guide usually has commentary about the track and it’s history. We’ll have our gates open too, 9am-5pm on both Saturday (fb page) and Sunday (fb), and you’re invited to come by for a variety of casual recreational and volunteer activities. Not on Facebook? Visit theChainlink or export to your calendar for Saturday or Sunday.
- “Casual riding” on the track (below Stayers’ Line) will be allowed when work isn’t being performed and the surface is clear.
- Painting signs (see below)- medium to large-sized, on plywood.
- Patch-work on the track surface.
- Finer repair work on the small fissures and the apron.
- Assembly of monster-sized erector set (ADA ramp).
Feel free to bring friends and food to add to the grill!
As mentioned above we’re looking to design, prep and paint some signs for the property fence-line as well as design, prep and paint two trailers with murals and we need the community’s help in all ways. Some signs will be painted during Open House but most paint-work will be in the coming weeks. Basic information and contact/interest form is here.
Remember, lots of ways to get down to the track:
- Car-pool to conserve energy! 🙂 Email info@ChicagoVelodrome.com or join the Facebook Planning and Volunteer Group.
- The Velodrome is only two blocks West of the Lakefront Path.
- METRA stop (24 min. from Millennium Station) is 2 blocks away and allows bikes on trains.